Dustin and Amanda Michelle's Rocky Suns Farm, just off Kansas Highway 7 on 2200 Road, will be one of 10 producers featured on the Linn County fall farm tour on Saturday. (Roger Sims/Linn County Journal)
Ten farms will be featured in the Linn County Farm tour this Saturday, Sept. 24. Under the sponsorship of Clinch Realty, the tour includes all types of operations including beef production, a winery, two dairy operations, fresh farm-to-market growers, and a hog farm.
The tour runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and there is no charge for the event. Maps and more information can be picked up at each stop.
Several of the operations will give educational tours and have products for sale. Visitors who are interested in purchasing products should bring a cooler to keep food fresh. There will also be door prizes at each stop.
Clinch Realty broker and owner Brandon McGinnis, who began sponsoring the Linn County Farm Tour last spring, said that after seeing the spring and fall farm tours in Miami County, he thought the Linn County needed to have its own tour. As it happens this fall, two Fontana area farms just north of the Miami County line are joining the tour.
The farmers’ market in Pleasanton will have fresh produce and plants for sale. Two producers will also have booths at this market. The Pleasanton market is at 10th and Main streets across from the grocery store.
Here are the producers on the tour:
• The McKee Family Farmstead will be featured at the Pleasanton market on Main Street. Hannah and Kodee McKee sell fresh farm eggs and other products.
• The 1850 Farm will also be set up at the Pleasanton market. Its products include rabbit, quail, lamb, goat and Highland cattle meat as well as jams. Click here to go to their Facebook page.
• Skyview Farm and Creamery is at 22722 E. 800 Rd., Pleasanton. Sherri and Bill Nofkee run a Grade A micro dairy that sells fresh raw milk, cave-aged cheese, fresh cheese and other products from their Jersey cattle operation. Products will be available at their shop. Click here to go to their Facebook page.
• Castle Farms Fresh Meats, 5670 Scott Rd., Pleasanton, is an outdoor based hog farm specializing in pork production. Eric and April Castle will host tours around the operation. Lunch will be served on the day of the tour featuring their fresh pork products. Click here to go to their Facebook page.
• Rocky Suns Farms, 10062 W. 2200 Rd., Parker, is an operation that specializes in fresh produce, eggs and other farm products. Owners Dustin and Amanda Michelle have an on farm store that features everything from spices to candles, eggs to produce. Pumpkins and popcorn will be available. Visitors can take a self-guided tour and feed the animals. Click here to go to their Facebook page.
• Blue Dog Wine Co., 18499 Ransom Rd., La Cygne, will offer samples of their wine varieties. Owners Sarah and Tray Johnson produce high quality, small batch artisan wines and meads. In addition to selling wine, they also offer a formal wine tasting. They will have a food truck on tour day, and will be open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Click here to go to their Facebook page.
• C & M McGinnis Grass-fed Beef, 17820 E. 1650 Road, Pleasanton, raises all-natural, grass-fed beef. Owners Clark and Marilyn McGinnis take pride in the genetics of their Angus bulls. They offer a tour for visitors to learn more about the health benefits of their beef products, which will be on sale.
• New to the this fall is Goodison Gardens, 7498 Montgomery Rd., Mound City. The Goodisons have a Pumpkin Patch with 15 different varieties of the favorite fall vegetable. Choose a pink pumpkin to donate towards a local community member fighting cancer. Produce for sale also includes berries and fruit, and you can pick your own or just browse the orchard. Sweet Harvest Bread Co.’s food truck will be there and will be serving their treats.
• Grace Heritage Dairy, 40681 Hedge Lane, Fontana, is also new on the tour this fall. Sarah and Colton Easdon operate a four-generation Nubian goat dairy farm offering raw milk and goat cheese. Tour the operation’s 100-year-old barn, learn about goat cheese products, and pet some goats. Check out their website at graceheritagedairy.com This operation is located on the Miami County line north of Prairie View High School on Linn County Highway 1095.
• Another new entry from the Fontana area this fall is Courage Farms, 28608 W. 403rd St. Operated by Crystal and Beau Study, this farm sells sweet corn, green beans, melons and assorted vegetables plus baked goods. At this stop you get a chance to feed the animals, which include donkeys, goats, chickens and duck. Click here for their Facebook page.